Getting Your Logging Safety Program Started
“When I did my first safety meeting on a logging site, I was nervous about how it was going to go. The night before, I gathered up some Safety Alerts from the Worksafe BC site and found a Safety meeting template. When I arrived on site, the owner of the company gathered up his workers and we stood around in a circle by my tailgate ready to get started.”
How to conduct an Initial Safety Meeting
Here are a few things you can do to get things rolling:
- Pull out your Safety Meeting Template and have the workers sign in to the meeting.
- Talk about why we are meeting today. The companies commitment to Safety.
- Speak about the Safety Accord and what led up to the establishment of the BC Forest Safety Council.
- Review your Safety Program with the workers.
- Discuss Hazards, Risks, any general safety concerns about the site.
- Complete an Emergency Response Plan for the site, get the workers to give input.
- Fill out a First Aid Assessment, Hazard Assessment and sign the Safety Orientation Check list.